Bernard, who is known to his employees as Bernie, is recognized in the staffing industry for being both a pioneer and an innovator.
His lifelong career as a staffing solutions trailblazer began when he founded AppleOne Employment Services in 1964, when the industry was still an emerging concept.
As he continued to expand to key markets throughout the United States, Bernie met one of his competitors, Janice Bryant. Janice, who founded Act•1 Personnel in 1978, impressed Bernie with her perceptiveness, keen business acumen and knack for creating opportunities. Even as they each devoted themselves to making their respective businesses succeed, Bernie and Janice fell in love and married in 1980.
Bernie continued to grow AppleOne and by 1987, it had grown to become a $100 million company.
Two years later, the company reached $150 million in revenues and opened its first office in Canada. In response to the increasing need for specialized staffing, Bernie invested in vertical staffing and added specialty staffing brands that complemented AppleOne:
• All’s Well Health Care Staffing (for medical, dental and other healthcare office professionals)
• At-tech Technical Staffing (for Engineers, IT, and other technical field professionals)
• Accounting Advantage (for Accounting and Finance field professionals)
• Novation Legal (for Legal field professionals from paralegals to filing clerks)
• Pro Travel (for Travel and Hospitality professionals)